Skip to main content

About Education, Health and Care plans

An EHC plan is a legal document prepared by the local authority that describes the specialist support children and young people with complex and long-term needs will require to make progress in their education and learning and to achieve their full potential.

The EHC plan:

  • Applies to children and young people from birth to 25 years (if the person stays in education or training)
  • Describes a child or young person’s strengths and needs
  • Brings together in one place all the information about a child or young person and the support needed from education, health and social care
  • Is designed in partnership with families to enable children and young people with complex and long-term needs to set their own goals for what they want to achieve, now and in the future

How do I ask for an assessment?

Address your request in writing to the City of London’s SEND EHC Caseworker, who will arrange for it to be considered by the SEND panel, a multi-agency panel of professionals from education, health and social care.

However, before you request an assessment we recommend you first talk to your child’s teacher about his or her needs and how they are being met. You may want to include the school or setting’s special educational needs coordinator (SENCO) in these discussions.

We will contact you to discuss your request and to explain what will happen next.

SEND Caseworker
Education and Early Years Service
City of London Corporation
PO BOX 270
Guildhall North Wing
London EC2P 2EJ

How do we decide whether to assess your child?

All requests will be decided against consistent and rigorous criteria which consider:

  • Whether your child has complex special educational needs and/or disability that affect their everyday life   
  • Whether your child needs support that is not normally available in their school or setting
  • Whether your child needs intensive support from other services such as health and/or social care
  • What support is already in place under the Local Offer and what progress, if any, your child is making
  • Your child’s progress with the support he or she is currently receiving

We will inform you of the decision within six weeks of receiving the request.

Please note: Children or young people whose health or care needs are considered exceptional but whose educational needs can be met from the resources available to the school or setting, do not normally require an EHC plan.

What happens if an assessment is needed?

We will inform you of the decision in writing and arrange to meet with you to:

  • Explain the assessment process and how you and your child will be fully involved
  • Discuss whether any additional information is required
  • Explain how this additional information will be collected
  • Arrange a meeting with you and the professionals working with you and your child to discuss your child’s strengths and needs and to agree outcomes to be achieved

If your son or daughter is over 16, we are required by law to inform them directly of our decision unless they have requested that you act on their behalf or if they are judged not to have the capacity to make their own decisions.

What happens if an assessment is not needed?

We will inform you of the decision in writing and arrange to meet with you and your child’s school or setting to discuss how your child’s needs will be met within the resources available to the school or setting and through the local offer. 

We will also inform you of your right to appeal the decision to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal.

Appealing a decision not to carry out an assessment

If you are unhappy with the decision to not carry out an assessment, you have the right to appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal (SENDIST). However, before you appeal please contact with the Education and Early Years team to see if we can resolve the issue.

If we can’t and you decide to appeal, you are required by law to first contact an independent mediation adviser. The mediator will review your case and discuss with you whether mediation is a suitable way to resolve the issue. They will then issue you a certificate to demonstrate that you have, or have not, sought to resolve your issue through mediation.

The City of London local authority uses Kids SEN Meditation and Disagreement Resolution.

You must send your appeal within two months of the date on your decision letter or a month from the date of the mediation certificate - whichever is later.

NB: Tower Hamlets Information and Advice Support Service (IASS) can provide advice and support throughout this process.

Feedback Powered by Open Objects © Idox Software Ltd