Skip to main content

Supporting children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities

Most children and young people with special educational needs make progress in education and social development through the support that is generally available in their school or setting and can make a successful transition into adulthood.

If you are concerned that your child is not making the expected progress through the school's normal teaching arrangements, you should discuss this with your child's teacher. You may want to include the school or setting’s special educational needs coordinator (SENCO) in these discussions.  

As a result of the discussions, the school may decide to carry out an informal assessment of your child's needs and create an individual education plan (IEP) or a learning support plan (LSP). These normally include:

  • Short term targets for your child to achieve
  • Teaching methods that are additional to and different from the school’s normal teaching arrangements
  • Additional resources such as special teaching materials or more adult help
  • When the plan is to be reviewed

What if I still have concerns?

If it is agreed during the review of the IEP/LSP that your child is still not making the expected progressĀ for their age, the early years setting or school may need to seek additional help or advice from an outside specialist such as an educational psychologist, advisory teacher or speech and language therapist.

Feedback Powered by Open Objects © Idox Software Ltd